Saturday, November 30, 2019

Of Many Names...




Lota lota, aka burbot, bubbot, mariah, freshwater ling, the lawyer, coney-fish, lingcod, freshwater cusk, or the eelpout is the only freshwater gadiform (Cod family).

I love a fish with a lot of names! I think that the number of names a fish has is an indication of its interest to people. Anyway, We were having a slow morning and the Silver Salmon bite completely shut down by mid-afternoon. Earlier that week, I noticed an eel-like fish coming up to the surface and sipping air just below the silt line; where clear runoff river water met the cold glacial runoff river water. The night before, I had a client sink some salmon eggs to the bottom in an attempt to catch newly arrived silver salmon. However, we hooked two fish that were a little too small to stay on the hook, definitely not Salmon! I had a sneaking suspicion I knew what it was, so I talked my crew into deadsticking some lines on the bottom over lunch. 

Needless to say, lunch did not go well that day. Burbot slime everywhere! The Burbot bit was on! However, it was a blast and landed loads of Burbot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment