Friday, November 29, 2019

A Peice Of History.


The Longnose Sucker!
In Ichthyology at Frostburg State University, I first learned about the interesting range of the Longnose Sucker. I was immediately enamored by the idea of a few isolated populations leftover from the ice age; that were located right close by! While I am not a so-called, 'lifelister,' I do enjoy encountering new species and always wanted to go fish for one. Unfortunately, I moved out of Frostburg in May and was kicking myself the whole ride back to Jersey for not trying to catch one. 



Check out that little speck of green in Western Maryland, WV, and PA!! I was surrounded in Frostburg!

Fast forward a month, I am guiding in Alaska and what do I see creeping along the bottom of the river, Catostomus catostomus. I knew the moment I saw it, that the longnose was the only sucker within range. It was a little piece of Frostburg that had followed me all the way to Alaska, I had to get one. We, pretty much, only fished for Salmon and I knew I would have very little opportunity, if any, to try and catch one, but it couldn't be a coincidence! 

While in my personal time I almost always fly fish, I was a guide and had to fish a variety of ways. This particular week, the Salmon were almost exclusively hitting eggs, this was my chance. I had spinning tackle, I had Coho salmon eggs, and I had a fish I needed to catch... the Longnose Sucker, Catostomus catostomus. 

I am not going to lie, I was pretty excited to see my first Longnose Sucker. I may have been more excited to catch this fish than any other in Alaska. I think that they are beautiful and cool and can not wait until I catch another one. 








No comments:

Post a Comment